Ireland has one of the easier Visa application processes, with the majority of the process taking place online. If you are travelling for tourism purposes then you will find the process straightforward and easy to complete. Ireland has a large number of visa exemption treaties and many tourists will not require a visa.

For the majority of tourist visas you will need to supply the following information:

  • A valid passport
  • A recent, original passport photo measuring at least 35mm x 45mm and having a size no greater than 38mm x 50mm
  • A completed online visa application form (must be completed in English). The form guides you through all necessary stages including employment status, length of visit and reasons for visit
  • Pay a processing fee of between 60 and 100 Euros (depending on number of entries)

You also may need to visit an Irish Diplomatic Mission (Embassy) in your country or a neighbouring country in order to be issued with your visa.

If you are staying for a period exceeding 3 months you will need to register your stay with the Immigration Authorities. In order to register you will need to attend one of the local immigration offices in all major Irish cities. Upon completing the process you will be issued with a card containing your details and the length of your stay allowable.

Short Stay Visas

If you are visiting for a period less than 3 months for tourism purposes, or to visit friends or family, then you will only need a short stay visa. These visas are the easiest to apply for and cost 60 Euros. You will need to complete the information above and fill out a landing card upon arrival.

Ireland has a number of treaties allowing for Visa exemptions. Citizens of the European Union and citizens of the European Economic Area are visa exempt as well as the countries listed below:

Antigua and Barbuda
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Hong Kong
New Zealand
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
San Marino
Solomon Islands
South Africa
South Korea
Trinidad and Tobago
United Kingdom
United States
Vatican City


In addition anyone holding a valid UK Visa from the countries listed below can visit Ireland for a period of 90 days – or until the expiry of their UK Visa. The countries this applied to are:

Bosnia and Herzegovina
Saudi Arabia
United Arab Emirates

Select the size of your move to get free quotes

Working in Ireland

If you intend to work in Ireland you will need an Employment Permit in addition to your visa: unless you are an EU citizen, a citizen of the European Economic Area or Switzerland who are exempt.


Full work visas – Green Card Permits

You can apply for a Green Card Permit if you have been offered a job within the country. You must be being offered a salary of at least 60,000 Euros or be being offered a job in an area where Ireland has skill shortages (at a salary of at least 30,000 Euros). You can find a complete list of jobs that DO NOT QUALIFY here.

Your employer or an individual can apply for a Green Card Permit. The applicant will need to supply employment details, employment rights and proof of the offer of employment.

Green Card Permits are valid for 2 years, can be renewed for a further 2 years, and also entitle the bearers family, spouse and/or civil partner join them.


Work Permits for Dependants of Green Card Permits

If you are residing in Ireland with someone working on a Green Card Permit you can apply for a stamp allowing you to work. This is a fairly straightforward process and involves attending an immigration office meeting to be issued a formal authorisation. For these work permits you cannot have a salary of more than 30,000 Euros per annum.


Temporary Secondment

If you are being transferred to Ireland within another company you will need an Intra-Company Transfer Permit. Your host organisation will need to complete the forms available here and you must meet the following criteria:

  • Have a salary of at least 30,000 Euros per annum as a trainee or 40,000 Euros per annum in any other role
  • Have been with the company for a period no less than 12 months

Intra-Company Transfer Permits are valid for 2 years but can be renewed as a Green Card Permit after one year.

For Study

If you intend to study in Ireland and are not a citizen of the EU or one of the visa exempt countries listed here you will need to apply for a student Visa. In order to apply for a student Visa you will need to provide the following documented evidence (in addition to the standard Visa process outlined at the top of the page):

  • A proof of enrolment at an academic institution
  • Proof of fees paid in full to the institution
  • A current bank statement with a minimum balance of 3000 Euros
  • Medical Insurance documents (Value of cover at least 25,000 Euros)


For Family Reasons

If you are visiting Ireland for family reasons and will exceed a stay of 90 days you will need a separate travel Visa. You will need to complete the standard forms outlined at the top of the page and answer questions in relevant sub-sections on your family. You will need to provide the following documents in addition to the standard form:

  • A letter from your host confirming that they will provide accommodation for your visit
  • A current utility bill from your host, which must display their address
  • A written statement from your host affirming that you will obey the conditions of your visa
  • Supporting evidence of your relationship to the family member you will be staying with/visiting
  • A bank account statement showing your last 6 months accounting period and demonstrating that you have sufficient funds to finance your stay
  • A bank account statement from your host evidencing their ability to help support your stay

You do not need all of the evidence above to successfully apply for a visa to visit friends or family for an extended period but the more evidence that is supplied the greater your chances of approval.


For Staying in Ireland without Working

If you intend to live in Ireland without working you will need to apply for a Permission To Remain visa. These are available for people wishing to work and people wishing to reside in Ireland. In order to apply you will need a certificate of registration issued by the Garda National Immigration Bureau. You will also need to meet one of the following requirements:

  • Have been a resident in Ireland on a Working Permit for at least 5 years
  • Have been a resident of Ireland for at least 8 years (Excluding as a student)

You will need to provide evidence of your employment history and visa history for the country. If you are successful in this process you will be issued a passport stamp and a GNIB card proving your right to remain in the country. If you meet the 8 year requirement you will be granted the right to remain in the country indefinitely. If you have had a working permit you will be issued a right to remain stamp which is valid for a further 5 years (at which time you can apply for a permanent right to remain.