Italy is a member state of the European Union and is a participating member of the Schengen area. This area shares a common Visa policy that entitles all participating member states to free movement within the area.

All nationals of the following countries are entitled to unlimited travel, residence and work within Italy.

The Schengen Area

  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland (not a European Union Member State)
  • Italy
  • Latvia
  • Liechtenstein (not a European Union Member State)
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • Netherlands
  • Norway (not a European Union Member State)
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Swiss (not a European Union Member State)

If you are travelling as a citizen of a country that does not participate in the Schengen treaty or have an agreement with the European Union you will need a Visa to visit Italy.

To meet visa requirements for Italy you will need to provide or complete the following:

  • Complete a Visa application form. The form needs to be furnished with your personal information, details of your occupation, financial position and purpose of travel
  • A passport sized photo
  • Pay A non-refundable fee of 60 Euros

You will also be required to make your visa application in person at an embassy or consulate in your resident state or, in some circumstances, a neighbouring country.

Some citizens will also be required to submit medical documents and/or fingerprints.

You may also be asked to show proof of your ability to finance your stay within Italy and provide evidence that you have medical cover. Financially this entails having a minimum of:

Length of StayIndividual TravellerGroups of 2 or more
5 days or lessEUR 269.60EUR 212.81
6-10 daysEUR 44.93/dayEUR 26.33/day
11-20 daysEUR 51.64 + 36.67/dayEUR 25.82+22.21/day
20 days or moreEUR 206.58 + 27.89/dayEUR 118.79+17.04/day

You can provide evidence of your ability to pay in the form of cash, bank statements or travellers cheques.

You may also be asked to show proof of your medical insurance. The minimum coverage is 30,000 Euros – though having a higher value policy is advisable.


Short Stay Visas

Thanks to the centralised process applying for a Visa to Italy is relatively straightforward. If you make sure you have all the documentation outlined above with you when attending the Visa application meeting you should have no problems successfully apply for a visa.

A standard Visa will allow you to travel freely within Italy for 90 days.

That said there are a number of countries that are visa exempt, for tourist visits, that fall outside of the Schengen area. These are:

Albania, Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Hong Kong, Israel, Japan, Macedonia, Macau, Malaysia, Mauritius, Mexico, Moldova, Montenegro, Monaco, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Saint Kitts and Nevis, San Marino, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, United Kingdom, United States, Uruguay, Vatican City and Venezuela.

If you are from any of these countries you do not need a visa for stays of up to 90 days. If you intend to extend your stay or work within the country you will need to apply for a work visa or travel extension. If you are already within the country this can be done at a local Visa office in most major cities.

Select the size of your move to get free quotes

Long Stay Visas

Working in Italy

Sadly Italy currently has one of the highest unemployment rates within Europe. However, there are plenty of opportunities for skilled workers within the country and Italy’s culture and beauty make it a very popular emigration destination.

If you are from the European Economic Area you do not require a work Visa to reside and work within the country at all. You will however need a residence permit if your stay exceeds 3 months and you are from the UK or Switzerland. If you are outside of the Schengen area you will need to apply for a work visa. If you are from the EU (including the UK and Switzerland) or Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, United States or New Zealand you can apply for a work visa once you have arrived in Italy. If you are outside of these countries you will need to apply before arriving in Italy.

In order to apply for an Italian Work Visa and Residence Permit you will need to complete the standard visa application and provide the following:

  • An employment offer from a recognised Italian company (including salary, job description and company details)
  • A completed visa application form

In addition the company sponsoring you may need to provide evidence that it has tried to fill the position from within the EU – which can sometimes create an additional barrier to entry.


For Study

If you intend to study in Italy you will need to complete a visa application and provide a letter of acceptance from your academic institution detailing the length of your course and the conditions of acceptance. If you are successful in your application you will be granted a residence visa and, in most instances, the right to work during the course of your studies.


For Family Reasons

If you are visiting family members who are permanent citizens of the European Union or have the right to work in Italy then you do not need to take any special steps in securing a visa. If you are joining family members and intend to stay for a long period or work you will need to apply separately for work and residence Visas.


For Staying in Italy without Working

If you wish to stay in Italy without working you will need to provide evidence of your ability to support yourself during your residency. Citizens of the EU do not require a visa application in order to remain in Italy but must register with local authorities for a residency permit. If you are applying from outside the EU you will need to contact your local embassy to provide Visa application forms and detailed evidence of your income. Your income must be passive or savings based so that you can demonstrate you will not need to work in Italy.